AGILE – Implemented by Scrum :
Any projects, whatsoever type, entail components of cost, schedule, and performance. This section addresses, how we propose to manage schedule and performance.
zCon uses the increasingly preferred methodology, known as agile management; a collection of management tools, developed specifically to address the inherent uncertainties and often vague requirement-to-solution path, so typical of software projects.
Agile is a philosophy of software development that is cyclic in nature. Rather than managing a project through a linear series of rigidly set calendar milestones and project deliverables, agile management continuously achieves small successes and builds upon these success, with new goals.
Agile software development consists of continuous cycles aiming to
- Help users continuously refine application requirements – requirements flexibility.
- Ensure developers continuously seek, to understand evolving user requirements.
- Create incrementally built prototypes, intended to meet key user requirements.
- Elicit constant and active user input and feedback, on prototype designs or features.
- Tweak prototype design, as users refine their future-state expectations; based upon key features most recently evolved and incorporated. And repeat the cycle.
Rather than at key milestones only, zCon will regularly publish the application software; in its current state to a limited-access (password protected) website for user testing and feedback.
Agile methodology mitigates project risks, by managing expectations; and thereby preventing small problems from growing into big ones. Periodic user inputs are immediately incorporated into the design, resulting in a better product (performance) delivered on time (schedule).
Key aspects of the Agile methodology include :
- Periodic & intermediate deliveries of development completed on Test Site or Internal zCon site for review.
- Regular (periodic) requirements review and usability testing, by customer and key management, validate project progress; and redirect as required to ensure timely and successful project completion.
- Daily Scrum meetings control task execution; and, help overcome hurdles, in implementation.
- Weekly status review with customer, about project; and, seek feedback and user inputs.
- Continuous product improvement resulting from user feedback.
- Improved ROI for all involved parties.
- Key software milestones accomplishments (Sprints in Agile).
zCon will host the application, on a server accessible to selected customers / endusers; who can run and test the software, with each subsequent ‘build’. Deviations in ‘Builds’ from ‘release’, will have immediate access; to evaluate proposed designs. Surprises are minimized as users gain very clear awareness of progress-to-date of the project.
Scrum way to implement Agile in practice :
The simplicity of SCRUM allows continual inspection, adaptation, self-organization, and emergence of innovation. This can produce an exciting product for the customer, develop high team spirit; and satisfying work. Furthermore, it generates high productivity and customer satisfaction; while achieving the financial goals of the company. As a result, SCRUM is being widely adopted worldwide in companies; large and small, localized or distributed, open source or proprietary, for virtually any type or size of project.
Highlights of Scrum :
- Sprint of 2-4 weeks: Customer will get actual working software every 2-4 weeks.
- Daily Scrum meetings to manage and control day to day progress and to avoid any surprises.
- Self-organized team – Provide better estimates and taking less time doing them.
- Be more in control of the project schedule and state (short iterations, clear, unambiguous ways of calculating the velocity etc.)
- As a result we are able to achieve conversion of customer satisfaction to customer delight.